Bakley's Blog

Words from my life South of the Border in Mexico City for friends and family. I intend to post artcles and other things that are funny or interesting. I am a huge soccer fan, like to cook and am currently consumed by politics. I work in finance and am busy trying to get my Spanish to the next level. Hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I'm still here

Well folks (or folk as the case may be) I am in the middle of GMAT and CFA preparation as well as trying to enjoy my last few months here in Mexico. The blog has suffered.

But I wanted to get these points down on paper:

1) why is the President saying to older workers that they do not need to worry about their benefits. If we really are in a crisis shouldn't everyone pitch in. When 9/11 happened everyone sacrificed and chipped in to get everyone back on their feet. Well why would older workers be exempt? It's a crisis right?

Clearly, I do not think it is a crisis and this telling oversight/politcal jockeying defines clearly the dismantlers goals. You can't say don't worry you won't lose anything out one side of your mouth and Hey you guys are going to get a great opportunity out the other. The goal is clear: end Social Security and be the FDR of Republicans. Well we all know this guy couldn't ride in FDR's wheelchair.

2) Where the hell are the disabled in all this!? Who the fuck is going to cover the disabled and the bereft. Kids whose parents die, people who lose eyesight. This is not some government run 401 (k) it is an insurance policy against the unforeseen and against the pitfalls of what old age means to the modern world.

Why does no one from the bloggers to the MSM to the President himself ever talk about the disabled who in my understanding receive about 1/3 of all SS benefits.

I guess no one gives hoonanny if you happen to lose a limb in the new (Your-on-Your) Ownership Society. Those are the breaks.

Well not to this guy and I don't think most people think we should all be forced to fend only for ourselves. Let's keep the fight up and move from a tentative defeat to a full on, bar stools flying brow-beating. Let's put the A__holes in their place and show them who America really belongs to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
There Is No Crisis: Protecting the Integrity of Social Security